Swords, as implemented now, break the game.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by LennardF1989, Aug 28, 2014.

1. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 New Member

I'm not one who quickly calls something OP, but swords are just no fun addition to the game right now.

I've played with bullet hell since I've started playing last week, and pulling of a kill with that is way harder than sword. In a "perfect game", where no one runs around with a sword, it takes some skill and maybe even teamwork, but you can easily put down someone whoes on a very large streak with his non-sword weapon. People with swords are simply a lucky shot to kill, they're fast, seem to have a large AoE around them when they swing the sword and worst of all pretty much insta-kill whereas a rifle of some sort take at least half your clip, IF you're lucky.

If you have 3 people running around with swords on the other team, farming kills on bots or players dumb enough to keep running at them them thinking "oh shiny!" to become super-l33t, I feel like just closing down the game. As trying to get into a different match is a waste of time because there is at most only a few games running and you keep getting into the same...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  2. Monarch

Monarch New Member

Have you tried using Icarus Legs/ Auto Shotty? As much as I hate people who use katanas I don't really think they're OP.

3. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 New Member

As said, I don't like calling something OP, but I do feel swords as they are right now, spoil my fun.

4. itisjustjeff

itisjustjeff Member

There are many things you can do to avoid katanas.

1. Run away
    2. Icarus + shotgun
    3. Icarus + launcher
    4. grenades
    5. turrets

As someone who roams maps with two katanas, I know there are easy ways to stop it. I do it because it's the fastest pace gameplay you can get in the game right now... so it makes it much more fun than using an auto sniper or auto shotgun, which seems to be the way things are done right now.

5. Sonitorum

Sonitorum New Member

Katanas were never OP. They're just unintuitive to fight against. Pardon the self-promotion, but check the guide in my signature for tips on how to beat them regardless of what armors or weapons that you're using (i.e. Icarus Legs and Shotguns aren't neccesary, but good for training). In the end, it just comes down to keeping your head on the swivel and doing proper positioning.

Against some of the better players I've seen (Narf, nofear, Saber | Antidote, Dezra, etc.), it's harder to use Katanas than you think it is. The way I see it, the Inferno Katana is especially akin to Call of Duty's noobtube. It seems very effective at first, but you gain more efficient options for combat as you get better in the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  6. Tiblolan

Tiblolan New Member

You should know better than to post something like this Lennard, considering your history.

Since you started last week, I can pretty much guarantee that you don't have many weapon/armor unlocks and you haven't taken the time to actually investigate counters. The game has given you the tools to counter almost everything, even moreso if you are on a proper team (mumble and such). As I'm somewhat bored today, I'll do the critical thinking that you should've done.
    • Situational Awareness bro
    • Jump armor - Icarus, Tom
    • Armor that reduces Melee damage
    • Literally anything with Burst Damage - Autoshotgun, Bullet Hell
    • Area Denial - Turrets, Napalm, Taser Shotgun
    • Launchers
    • Running/Dashing/Super Jumping away
    • Using Mumble
    • See Sonitorum's Guide
    • Using quick jump points
    When JustJeff started using double katanas (which I didn't think was possible till recently), it took me pretty much one game to create the proper counter. So lets just stop with the "ruins fun" and "xxx is op, plz nerf" threads already.

Saying something "Breaks the game" is tantamount to saying something is OP btw

7. Banana Jones

Banana Jones New Member

Yeah Lennard, i kind of expected more from you. These kinds of threada are EXACTLY, and i mean EXACTLY why SMNC is ded.

8. Awpteamoose

Awpteamoose New Member

Bullet Hell isn't meant to be used as a main weapon against players, it's a titan-busting weapon that's occasionally useful for finishing someone off.

Swords are only useful literally when your characters touch and you are punished for letting someone to get into that range.

9. Pill_

Pill_ Member

Swords are so easy to counter. I just juke and shoot at them. Basically, your range when using actual guns is better, abuse that and they ded.

edit: also nade spam to control enemy movement, does disrupt your damage output significantly though, something you can't always afford in cqc vs burst damage

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
  10. TheOllyfin

TheOllyfin New Member

Guys the Sword are really op i wouldnt mind on them getting a major nev or even being replaced with a battle axe of something

11. Banana Jones

Banana Jones New Member

This thread is disgusting.

3 people like this.
  12. Awpteamoose

Awpteamoose New Member

Well that doesn't make much sense.

13. Sonitorum

Sonitorum New Member

A battleaxe sounds even more intimidating.

14. Nexle

Nexle New Member

Do you even backpedal bro?

15. Pika

Pika New Member

Just get an auto snipe, and you'll see the light.

2 people like this.
  16. mutanteggs

mutanteggs New Member

You could always "get good".
    #LosersFromSMNC

No but really, Kantana's are designed to be a brainless weapon that anyone can use, but they are far from OP. They're useless at range and you can kite a katana user easily, especially if you play with all the right moves like me.
    I have never once died a single time from a katana user, or any enemy player.

5 people like this.
  17. TJ

TJ Human Head Staff Staff Member

these are swords, not nerf bats, they are not op

6 people like this.
  18. Banana Jones

Banana Jones New Member

TJ i love you please be my best friend

3 people like this.
  19. Tiblolan

Tiblolan New Member

*DON'T* Vote for TJ in the moderator elections

edited by TJ :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
    4 people like this.
  20. EmBox

EmBox New Member

Does this mean that nerfbat weapons are coming?
    Instead of dealing nasty damage they push players around; a lot.